I strongly recommend following the 80:20 rule with your diet, meaning you eat clean and lean 80 per cent of the time, which leaves room to splurge on whatever you want for the remaining 20 per cent. Using the 80:20 rule as guidance should help you stick to a healthy eating plan in the long-term as nothing is forbidden. People shouldn’t feel under pressure to diet and I am hugely impassioned about teaching people to eat healthily without feeling deprived.
I don’t eat healthily for the sake of eating healthily. I eat healthily to allow me to spoil myself without guilt – be it with wine, cake, curry or chocolate, whenever I want. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a mung bean stew or a wheat grass shot but it’s not what I want to eat every day, it’s certainly not what my kids want to eat (ever!!!) and it doesn’t appeal to a huge proportion of the population. My experience has allowed me to create new recipes based on family favourites that are both healthy and wholesome and my books and courses are my way of sharing this with the world at large.
I believe that we are all on a journey in life and I like to think of clean eating as like climbing up the rungs of a ladder to a healthier and happier world. Although you really want to get to the top of the world position, it may seem intimidating to climb to the top of the ladder in one go and so the ladder has to be climbed a rung at a time. Ditching dairy, wheat and sugar and only eating organic produce may seem really daunting at first. Substituting buckwheat for flour may seem a rung too far! However, starting with simple changes and focusing on just one thing at a time, gradually you will find yourself climbing the rungs of the clean eating ladder. So maybe giving up dairy and substituting it for almond milk, or eliminating gluten from your diet, will be your first step. Some steps will be quicker than others (and you may even skip a few steps along the way) but as you begin to make lifestyle changes, you will gain confidence and start to feel more energised. You may even fall off the ladder a few times, but don’t beat yourself up. It is better to be slowly climbing the ladder one rung at a time and choosing healthier alternatives than not to climb the ladder at all. Oh, and of course, in order for the ladder to be stable, you need a strong foundation on which to base it and this is where practical advice, knowledge and experience – ‘the Kate philosophy’ – comes into play.